As a website owner, you want to make sure that the data you are collecting with Matomo Analytics (formerly known as Piwik) is accurate and reliable. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your Matomo data is trustworthy:
- Make sure that your Matomo tracking code is correctly installed on all pages of your website. If the tracking code is missing or improperly installed, you will not be able to collect any data.
- Check your Matomo tracking code to ensure that it is not blocked by any ad blockers or other software that could prevent it from executing.
- Regularly review your Matomo data to identify any anomalies or discrepancies. For example, you might notice a sudden drop in traffic or a spike in bounce rate. If you spot any unusual patterns, you should investigate further to determine the cause.
- Use Matomo’s “Goals” feature to track specific actions that you consider to be important on your website, such as form submissions or e-commerce transactions. This will help you to better understand how your users are interacting with your site.
- Use Matomo’s “E-commerce” feature to track your online sales and revenue. This will allow you to get a more accurate picture of your website’s performance.
- Make sure to exclude your own IP address from your Matomo tracking to prevent skewing your data. You can do this by going to the “Visitor Settings” section in your Matomo dashboard.
- Use Matomo’s “Custom Variables” feature to track specific user characteristics or behaviors that are important to your business. This will allow you to segment your data and get a more detailed understanding of your users.
- Use Matomo’s “Heatmaps” and “Session Recording” features to visualize how users are interacting with your website in real time. This will give you valuable insights into what works well on your site and what areas may need improvement.
By following these best practices, you can ensure that your Matomo Analytics data is accurate and reliable, and that you are making informed decisions based on the data you are collecting.